Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cultural Identities

I am very familiar with this topic because I am Haitian and have encountered several issues with my cultural identity. In the past, if I were asked who I was I would have said Haitian. When I began to take different test in grade school, the test would only have Black or African American as an option for ethnic background. I did not think I fell under any of these topics so I always left that space blank. I did not know if I was defined by the color of my skin or my true culture. After the presentation I began to think of the answer to that question. I know now that I am not defined by the color of my skin. There is more to people than just that. Someone can be black and are still from India or other parts of the world. Just like a white person who are Haitian and were born and raised in Haiti.

No comments: